Rising (Vincent and Eve #1) by Jessica Ruben

Pages: 350
Release Date: May 1st 2018
Publisher: kindle edition
Buy: Amazon
Add: Goodreads

Synopsis...
As the bus approaches my stop on the Lower East Side, I raise the hood of my black sweatshirt. Anonymity is key in my neighborhood—particularly as a lone female walking at night.

All I want is to leave my crime-ridden shadow of a home in New York City. I’ve done everything I can to keep my head down and focus on my studies. College is my only goal; love has never been on the map…
That is, until my sister brings me to an underground fight, where I meet a gorgeous and mysterious man: Vincent.

He is the ghost in my shadows, showing up to feed me pieces of his upper-crust life, then evaporating into darkness until his next visit. I’m falling hard and fast. How can I trust him amidst the depth of his secrets?

Vincent may be even more dangerous than the dark world I’m trying to escape.


My thoughts

Wow can I just say after reading Sparrow by L J Shen ( which is one of my all time favourite books !) I have found myself driven towards books with an antihero where there is mystery, suspense and curiosity surrounding him so when reading the blurb to Rising I was so excited! 

The book surrounds eighteen year old Eve who just wants to live in a better neighborhood which is not crime ridden where she wouldn't be faced with evil, despicable men like Carlos and not fear of getting raped or killed all the time. Enter Handsome, mysterious Vincent who she locks eyes with in an underground fight club and immediately she feels a strong attraction and desire that she has never felt towards any other man. But one thing she knows for certain - he is dangerous. The more she grows closer to Vincent the more he keeps her at arms length leading her to believe there is more to Vincent than he is leading on. 

Vincent.Vincent.Vincent. Oh how to describe him. Honestly I feel more confused about this character when I finished the book than when I started. Jessica definitely was very clever in her written presentation of Vincent and nailed the mysterious hero portrayal as we are constantly trying to decipher him wondering why he is pushing Eve away,  why is he so caring with Eve making sure she is safe when clearly he himself is a stranger? 

" When I tell you to do something-" his voice is gruff as he moves even closer " you should listen to me, Eve".

Eve is your innocent Heroine who cherishes the simple things in life such as books, friendships and hot handsome men who she should be staying away from. Even though she hardly knows anything about Vincent, she still wants to get to know him better,she wants to be his center of attention. Jealousy is involved , secrets will be revealed and more mystery is created. 

i love books where there are obstacles between the hero and heroine before they get together, I love the games, the jealousy , the resisting and battles they go through which makes the union all the more sweeter. Jessica Ruben definitely has nailed this and I do not doubt book two will be even more exciting. 

I love exploring new books and discovering new authors and I am glad I gave this book a shot because I think Jessica Ruben has become another go to author on my list where I read the book no matter what it is about. 

My Rating: 5 Stars!!
*I received an ARC for an Honest Review*

Comments

Popular Posts